Pet-Friendly Pest Management for Fleas
Professional Flea Extermination Services for Southeast Wisconsin
Flea infestations are one of the most common household pest problems all over the Milwaukee metropolitan area. Like most insects in the “blood-feeders” category, fleas often require the highly specialized services of a professional pest control company like Ehlers Pest Management.
The professional team of Ehlers Pest Management offers the best environmentally-friendly pest control services to help keep your children and pets safe. Your flea problem will be a thing of the past when you receive our Integrated Pest Management (IPM) services.
Fleas typically pop up anywhere animals reside including:
Signs Your Home May Have a Flea Infestation
- Small, dot-like insects hopping on your furniture – Fleas show up in your bedding, furniture, drapes, or floor cracks.
- Pets scratch or bite their fur excessively – Flea infestations often start with household pets, usually dogs and cats, who go outside in the dirt or come in contact with pets already infected with fleas.
- Developing hives or a rash near feet and ankles – Flea bites on humans are usually located near the feet, and often develop as a red rash or hives.
What Do Fleas Look Like?
Fleas are reddish-brown, growing up to 1/8 inch in length with 3 pairs of legs. Enlarged hind legs enable fleas to leap up to 7 inches vertically and 13 inches horizontally. They need to live on the outside of the host’s body and feed off its blood in order to live and reproduce.
Fleas lay their eggs when animals sleep, usually in thick, fibrous material such as carpet strands or thickly woven fabric. Female fleas lay up to 200 eggs at a time, which can lead to a massive infestation in a fairly short time.
For more identification tips, check out our pest identification guide.
Flea Bite First Aid
Flea bites on pets and people can cause severe allergic reactions, particularly for those who are sensitive to flea saliva. Flea bites on humans are easily identified by clusters of red, itchy bumps which often bleed slightly from a single puncture. Bites usually appear in clusters of 3-4, although an entire area of one's body can be covered with dozens, even hundreds, of bites.
Scratching only makes matters worse, opening the door to an infection and a prolonged rash. Dealing with flea bites by:
- Washing the affected area with a good antiseptic soap
- Applying 1% hydrocortisone cream
- Take a dose of Benadryl or a similar antihistamine to control the itching and swelling
- If the itching is really bad, apply ice packs and Calamine lotion
Honest, Effective Pest Control in Wisconsin
At Ehlers Pest Management, your pest problem is our priority. While other pest companies promise an effective cheap solution, they often fail to fully erradicate your pest problem. We’re not the next cheap solution. You’ll receive flexible and custom extermination solutions that fit your situation without any nonsense. And we’ll never sell you a 12-month control program you don’t need. With Ehlers Pest Management, there are no gimmicks, just pest control.